Moogle Earth: FFXI Zones as Google Maps  

Posted by Gwynplaine in , , , ,

Due to the tragic circumstances in Japan, we've all been given a little time to do other things while FFXI is offline this week. While looking around and cleaning up the files on my PC I ran into an old folder of Google Earth style maps I made over a year ago now. I had forgotten all about them, but I figure they're sort of cool, so why not turn them into a blog post.

Basically I used the program EWH Zone Viewer to take sequential pictures of a number of zones from above. Then took those pictures and stitched them together in Photoshop and cleaned it up. The entire process was tedious and awful, which is why I stopped. As nifty as they were I couldn't conceive of any good practical and useful reason to justify the difficulty of making them. Although if you had any good ideas yourself, I'd be willing to listen. It's too bad too. Seeing the entire game in a Google Earth format would be a nice concept, but just far too much of a challenge. I dunno, maybe there's someone out there who's a clever programmer or has less of a life than me who could accomplish it.

Anyways here they are. For some reason I focused on WotG zones, I guess at the time they felt more relevant. They are hosted using the handy Maplib.net website. Click the individual name links to get a better view. Click read on below the cut off to see more.


Windurst Waters (S)



Click read on below the cut off to see more.



West Sarutabaruta (S)






Fort Karugo-Narugo (S)






Meriphataud Mountains (S)






Sauromugue Champaign (S)




Rolanberry Fields (S)




Pashhow Marshlands (S)




Entire Windurst (S) Region

This entry was posted on Mar 13, 2011 at Sunday, March 13, 2011 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment